Ann Katrine Kristensen's Reviews > Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, Pearl of Great Price

Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, Pearl of Great Price by The Church of Jesus Christ ...

Sep 19, 10

bookshelves: own
I own a copy

I should start by saying that I am not Mormon, and in no way religious.

I read this book because I really wanted to understand my ex-boyfriend's religion. I have never been very religious, but religion has always fascinated me. He gave me this book, and really wanted me to read it. I did. It was interesting. In several cases it makes perfectly sence what is written, and would to anybody reading - mormon or not. But I don't think I could ever believe in any religion, enough to believe unconditionally in everything the religion contains.
In this case my strongest belief was disturbed by the claim that this is the only true religion, and that everybody else has got it wrong. I truly believe - and always have - that everybody in the world understand, learn, and act in different ways, and therefore Man has created so many different religions. I guess that this statement would mean that Mormons learn, and teach by telling their truth, but to me it there are several ways of doing just that. Saying it amongst other Mormons, reassuring one another in this would be fine, but pussing it onto others, telling them that they will not recieve salvation if they do not believe in exactly this seems wrong to me. And I know it is not just the Mormons, but they were just the example at hand.
Maybe my whole concern about it comes from being in the midst of it myself. I went with him to church, read this book, and really did everything I could to try and understand. But to the people in his church, and his familly, it was never enough. And so, instead of just writing me off, they became rude, and almost aggressive in their attemt to enrole me in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Anyhow. What I wanted to say with all this, is that it is a really interesting book, with interesting stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, Pearl of Great Price.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rachel I really appreciated the thought and open mindedness that you put in your review. I am a Mormon and i'm glad you found the book interesting and that it had a positive impression. I'm sorry that the family that introduced it to you however, made a negative impact. i like to believe that they were just over eager to involve you in a religion that brings them such happiness, but i really don't know them or the details so i can't assume anything. You are right, men have always found different paths to God and religion in many forms. The Mormon church believe that all good people who serve God to the best of their knowledge and beliefs are blessed in heaven, Ghandi, Mother Teresa, and many other great and good people, famous or not, are respected by the Church. We can't label one person good, bad or condemned, because we aren't God and we don't know squat enough to judge. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints teaches that the different churches in the world all contain different parts and beliefs of God's true church, that over the years men have pieced together their own truths and follow them to the best of their ability. But God has not just thrown out a bunch of multiple choice answers into the world for us to pick and choose and puzzle over. There is one true church, and we have it on the Earth, that's why we want to share it so badly, because in the midst of so much controversy and confusion it's peaceful to know where you stand. I know that the Book of Mormon is a true account of the ancient america's saved by God and written by Prophets, i just wanted to add to your respectful comments and thank you for spending time reading this book, I hope you may continue to look through it and find what you are looking for.

Ann Katrine Kristensen Hi Rachel!
Thank you so much for your comment! :) I was realy happy to read it! I truely do believe that I had a case of "bad luck" reagarding the people at Spencer's (my ex-boyfriend's) church. Of cause there are many different approaches to new and curious people!
I really like the way you describe why you see The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints as the true church. Though I still do not believe in God, I find you way of explaining it very... very thoughtful, and understandable!
Thank you very much for taking the time to read my review, and commenting on it! And I will keep looking through the book, as well as other biblical sciptures - if not to find a truth, then at least to understand other people and their magnificent thoughts on life, belief and love!

I wish you all the best, and thank you agian.

Ann Katrine

Madison I appreciated your review. Im glad that someone can understand that just because you dont share the same beliefs, doesnt mean that you have to destroy the book and tear down someone's religion. So thank you.

Ann Katrine Kristensen I am glad you did. Thank you very much for reading it, and thank you for taking the time to comment.
I wish you all the best in your life.

Ann Katrine

George Why is your review exactly the same as Doris wrote? see above Sept 8, 2011

Ann Katrine Kristensen I can't help you there. This is a very personal review of a book that really put some things in perspective for me. I added it on September 19th 2010 when I first joined this site, and I have never read any other reviews of this book, but my own, so I cannot be the judge of similarities between this review and others. I hope that helped you. :)

Ann Katrine Kristensen Hi George. I looked in to it now, and it seems you are right. Doris's review is word-for-word the same as mine, just posted a year later. I find it a little sad, given that this review took me a great deal of time to write - English is not my first language, and it was a somewhat emotional and personal story to put in a review.
I hope that she will get the curiage to write her own review some day. :)
Thank you for telling me, and also thank you for reading.
Ann Katrine :)