Laura Gardner's Reviews > The Black Book of Secrets

The Black Book of Secrets by F.E. Higgins

Jan 11, 08

bookshelves: juv, thriller, fantasy
Read in January, 2008

from my teen reads blog, http://www.sturgiskids.blogspot.com:
What deep dark secret would you sell if you could?

In The Black Book of Secrets by F.E. Higgins, Joe Zabbidou, the Secret Pawnbroker, pays good money for secrets and Ludlow Fitch records them in the Black Book of Secrets. Ludlow is running from a terrible past in the City and hopes to trust his new master, but how can he? Joe's business practices are bizarre and he won't answer Ludlow's questions. The people in the Village are burdened by many secrets, most involving an evil man named Jeremiah who has fierce control of everyone and their money. Joe says to be patient, but the villagers want revenge.

This book was fascinating and impossible to put down. It reminded me a bit of Stephen King's Needful Things and also of The Wish Giver: Three Tales of Coven Tree by Bill Brittain. The magic of a merchant coming to town and helping people in a mysterious way is one of my favorite themes. I recommend The Black Book of Secrets to anyone who likes mysteries (with a little bit of a historical bent to them).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Black Book of Secrets.