Jennifer's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Sep 07, 10

Read in September, 2010

I feel like a late-comer to the party, but I see what all the hype is about. I think the author does several things really well to make this book work. One of course is the premise. Sure the post-apocalyptic distopia genre isn't new, but the games brings together an intriguing mix (though maybe not deliberately) of Aztec sacrafices (they also required a male and female tribute from the conquered territories each year), Roman gladiator games, and most obviously modern reality tv. Second, she uses great, vivid details of the tv aspect and the survival story to make the whole thing very involving and convincing. Third, and perhaps more importantly, she keeps up the conflict and suspense; even during the build-up, which could be slow, she maintains the sense of danger. Fourth, and I think most significant, she creates characters that we really care about. And not just the main characters. How do we come to love Rue, for instance, so quickly and completely? So anyway, I'd better put the next volume on the wait list at the library right now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.