Ann's Reviews > Don't Read This

Don't Read This by Margaret Mahy

Sep 25, 10

it was ok
bookshelves: couldn-t-finish, ghosts, murder, paranormal, horror, k-6, books-for-reluctant-boys
Read from September 07 to 21, 2010

I grabbed this book from an endcap at the library because the cover freaked me out so much. Mirrors and hands and hands that aren't reflected in mirrors are so scary!!! I even had to keep it turned over so I couldn't see the cover after I read a story before bed every night. Unfortunately, that was the only scary thing about this book. My eight-year-old nephew, who is notorious for being afraid of things, read the first story and wasn't scared at all, so I knew it wasn't just me being too old for it. This book would be perfect for the obnoxiously precocious kid who would say "Sure, books about ghosts are good for a little thrill, but what is truly horrifying is the appalling situation in Bosnia." So many of the stories dealt with non-supernatural things (war crimes being one of them), or ended too succinctly, with too many sweet or feel-good endings. It's not that I didn't finish this because it was horrible (the stories weren't poorly written), but rather because the book was due back and I realized how little I cared about it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Read This.

10/02/2013 marked as: couldn-t-finish