Zeek's Reviews > Crooked House

Crooked House by Agatha Christie

Sep 07, 10

bookshelves: favorites-all-time, classics, literary, mystery, fiction
Read in July, 2007

I’ve read several Agatha Christie’s in my lifetime, but admittedly not as many as my Cousin A. Between old Agatha and the Midsomer Murder Mystery TV series, she’s pretty much got the English Murder Mystery genre covered. SO, when she handed me Agatha Christie’s Crooked House and told me it’s the best one she’s read yet by her, I was intrigued.

Well, she was right. A non- Hercule Poirot/Miss Marple, the book moved along, however, same as usual, until the ending. I never saw it coming. And that’s saying a lot because I usually got these things pegged early on.

From the Book Blurb:
In a sprawling mansion in affluent Swinly Dean, Aristide Leonides lies dead from barbiturate poisoning. An accident? Not likely. In fact, suspicion has already fallen on his luscious widow, a cunning, much-younger beauty rumored to have been engaged in an illicit affair. But criminologist Charles Hayward, who’s in love with the dead man’s granddaughter Sophia, has his suspicions about the whole unsavory Leonides clan. Can he solve the puzzle without implicating Sophia? Christie considered this novel, one of her best.

Don’t want to give anything away so we’ll leave it at that. If you like murder mysteries this one is one not to be missed!!

4.5 out of 5 from me!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crooked House.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana Lopes I never saw the ending coming, either. I usually guess who the murderer is in most of Christie´s books, but this time, I remember thinking: ¨WHOA.¨ and nothing else! It came out of left field and yet, the clues where there from the begginning.