Rebecca's Reviews > Team Rodent

Team Rodent by Carl Hiaasen

Sep 07, 10

Read in September, 2010

A fun polemic, full of good-natured vitriol. Occasionally relies on some spurious notions, like the assumption that the Times Square Disney store was responsible for displacing all the infamous perversion vendors. Still, Hiaasen's essay compellingly argues that Disney's ever-growing, tentacular hold on America is deadening both our culture and our democracy.

The company offers a bland but effective cocktail of commercial aspirations to children, angry teens, and striving adults alike--from princess movies to murder-themed punk record labels, to planned communities. And with express permission from the Florida government, Disney has established its own autonomous territory, a sovereign state with the power to levy taxes, mobilize a private police force, and hold elections--which are engineered by company executives, of course. Disney, Hiaasen says, is our friendly corporate overlord, filling our minds with spun sugar as it ushers us from cradle to grave, siphoning away our bank accounts all the while.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Team Rodent.