Kristi's Reviews > The Time Traveler's Wife

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Sep 07, 10

bookshelves: family, paranormal, romance
Read on September 04, 2010

First let me admit that I was biased against this story before I ever even had to read it.

I saw a preview/trailer for the movie version, and knew I wouldn't care for the plot overall. It just strikes too close to home for me.

It's a wife who spends her life waiting for her love/husband to come home. She doesn't always know when he'll leave, how long he'll be gone, when exactly he'll be home, or how long he'll stay.

I'm a military spouse whose husband has not only deployed overseas, but has also had to do TDY (trips) to other states for periods lasting 2 weeks to 9 months at a time, not knowing exactly how long when he left. I had him home for a periods lasting from 1 week to 2 1/2 years. I usually knew if the times would be longer than a few weeks.

Having said all that (rambled on), I will say that even though I was biased, this story completely held my attention. It was so well written, that even though I didn't want to like it, I was captivated enough to finish it.

I wish I could say it won me over, but I can't. However, it says a lot about Niffenegger as a writer (at least to me), that while completely disagreeing with her story I was held captivated enough that I had to finish it. I had to know how it ended.

Likeflag