Jesse's Reviews > The Hound of the Baskervilles

The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle

Sep 12, 10

bookshelves: classics
Read from September 06 to 12, 2010

Mystery books have never really been my cup of tea. I've tried some Agatha Christie and told myself that I should read more of them, but I never get around to it. They just don't "call" to me like so many other books.

But Doyle might be the man to change that. This book probably would have gotten 5 stars from me if I hadn't read a referance to it and known the endding before I started. But none the less, it was a great story.

I've seen a couple of Sherlock Holmes movies and even a play, and it seems like they all have one foot in the supernatural. This is what is going to make me want to read more. I've realized that Doyle is the basis for "Scooby Doo".

So, I can't say that the mystery of this tale was outstanding. I feel like, even if I didn't know the ending, I could have figured it out...maybe...So, I'm excited to try another one and see what I can come up with.

Anywho,
This is a story about, a classic theme, a wayward disinherited bastard killing off all of the living relatives who have claim to a wealthy estate. And while that is not overly exciting, Doyle's descriptions of the English Moor, a gloominess and almost tangible malice, comes right through the pages and sucks you in.

This is my first Sherlock Holmes book, so I don't know if all are told from Watson's point of view, but it worked really well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hound of the Baskervilles.