Kate's Reviews > Sherwood or Robin Hood and the Three Kings: A Play in Five Acts

Sherwood or Robin Hood and the Three Kings by Alfred Noyes

Sep 07, 10

bookshelves: fiction, folklore-legend-mythology, play, poetry, read-unowned, wishlist, robin-hood, research-for-the-novel
Read from September 06 to 07, 2010

This was one of the most beautiful, adventurous versions of Robin Hood that I have ever read. It was amazing. I didn't think I'd love it as much as I would, it far surpasses the Howard Pyle version (which is a version that people take as gospel). The Pyle version deals with the legend as a series of anecdotes; Noyes (incidentally one of my favorite poets) has a lyrical narrative. Marian and Robin get married, which doesn't happen as often as one thinks. The Outlaws are indeed merry and loyal and good. Blondel is floating around, and there are faeries, including Oberon and Titania. The only thing I didn't like about this version was the treachery of Queen Elinor. It seems unlikely that she would turn against Robin by allying with Prince John. Historically, she was a woman who fought her own battles. But the end was moving and beautiful and tragic, etc. It could not have been better written. It was Shakespearean in feel, if I could properly understand Shakespeare (so better), in that it's in iambic pentameter and poetry and five acts. But for all the fun adventures, definitely a tragedy.

NONETHELESS. Alfred Noyes, let's hang out.

Have I mentioned that I adored this version??

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sherwood or Robin Hood and the Three Kings.