Eric's Reviews > Beyond the Last Village: A Journey Of Discovery In Asia's Forbidden Wilderness

Beyond the Last Village by Alan Rabinowitz

M_50x66
Sep 06, 10

Read in September, 2010

While quite similar in many respects to "The Snow Leopard" by Peter Mathiessen, this book only touches on the religions of this region and focuses instead on wildlife policy, management and field work. Both use the physical journey as a metaphor and an avenue for examining internal and personal exploration. Alan Rabinowitz's personal story is quite amazing and while his childhood speech problems hang over the entire story, we only get one or two real insights into that part of his life. This book is a great adventure novel with plenty of the usual hardships. While his speech and his relationship to his wife add secondary story lines to the main plot of working to protect wildlife in Myanmar, these three tend to compete for the spotlight rather than complement each other. The sheer fact that more words are devoted to it tells us that the wildlife work is indeed the main story.

This is also a good motivational work that should inspire you to set and achieve even the loftiest of goals. The fact that he has been diagnosed with cancer since this publication adds to the reader's view of him as a fighter.

I probably would have given the book four stars if I had never read "The Snow Leopard". While very competent, Rabinowitz is a wildlife scientist first and a writer second. If you're interested in conservation and the process of proposing and developing wildlife management areas this book will certainly be of interest. It's a fairly quick and easy read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beyond the Last Village.