Colleen's Reviews > Are Men Necessary Unabridged

Are Men Necessary Unabridged by Maureen Dowd

Jan 15, 08

Recommended for: Break-up Blues Babes
Read in January, 2008

I'm rushing through the library, desperately searching for an audio book for my drive from Reno to Portland. It must be shorter than ten hours. Non-fiction preferred, since the driving weather was reported to be sketchy. I didn't want to focus on the road and miss and important character development.

Looking, looking, looking.... nothing, nothing, nothing... wait! What's that cheeky cover with the aloof women? An author implying that women are independent and funky-awesome on their own? A light-hearted update to feminism? I knew it was love.

Maureen Dowd was the only female opinion columnist for the New York Times when she wrote this book, and after years of pondering gender questions, she decided to collect them in this volume. She admits that she's not putting forth a unified analysis of modern gender relations. Thank goodness. Her writing is much more interesting. She talks about the weakness of the y chromosome, Bill and Monica, Anita Hill, over-sexed Bonobo monkeys, multi-sex crabs, and much more. Her wry tone and earnest bewilderment over how the bra-burning betties of the 70's became today's hottie Starbucks moms is endearing.

Also, although I'm not in this position right now, I think this would a great post-break-up book --it puts that whole messy, confusing, sometimes cruel, but always scintilating male gender in its place.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Are Men Necessary Unabridged.