Jennifer Johnson's Reviews > One Day

2021711
Sep 28, 10

bookshelves: audiobooks, lainey-suggestion
Read from September 06 to 28, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Oh.... I didn't want this book to end. I'm a sucker for a good romance story, but the cynical bitch in me always feels shame for enjoying it. One Day is the kind of book where I can have my cake and eat it to.

The story of "Dex and Em" or "Em and Dex" was so real in so many ways. 2 people, who's lives cross paths every day for 20 years. They have a mutual attraction to one another, but realize much later on in life, that they were meant to be. I loved the characters in this book so much. Emma with her wry sense of humour, her neurotic worries and her inability to achieve much. Dexter who is just a hopeless mess for so much of the time, choosing to self medicate away anything resembling feelings. Both characters delightfully flawed and also delightfully infatuated with each other.

A love story that doesen't rely on schmaltz or embarressing cliches. Dexter and Emma were real people, trying to figure it all out and in the process didn't always get it right. The book will make you laugh one page and break your heart the next. I enjoyed this book immensely and recommend it to you "romance realists" out there.

Enjoy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Day.

09/06/2010 "Beginning part 2. I don't want to put it down! (also the reader of this audiobook is BRILLIANT!)"
09/12/2010 "Over half done- loving this book."
09/21/2010 "I think something bad is about to happen and now I'm afraid to read the rest because I don't want anything bad to happen!"
09/28/2010
94.0% "I hate that stupid bike."
09/28/2010
100.0% "I didn't want this book to end. EVER."
show 1 hidden update…