Zach Freeman's Reviews > In the Land of Believers: An Outsider's Extraordinary Journey into the Heart of the Evangelical Church

In the Land of Believers by Gina Welch

Sep 06, 10

bookshelves: nonfiction, philosophyandreligion
Read in September, 2010

Very interesting book about an atheist girl who goes "undercover" to Jerry Falwell's church and befriends evangelicals and ultimately goes on a mission trip with them to Alaska. Although Welch spends a little too much time saying how "nice" evangelicals are and glosses over the times she witnesses their sexism, homophobia, and exclusionism, this is still a really captivating read. I wouldn't say I learned anything from this aside from maybe respecting people even if they have views that I might consider crazy - because they would consider my views crazy. If evangelicals were more open to getting to know non-evangelicals then I don't think a book like this would even need to exist.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Land of Believers.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jared "If evangelicals were more open to getting to know non-evangelicals then I don't think a book like this would even need to exist." I agree. That's one major problem I've noticed in my experience with evangelical Christians (which is not insignificant). But I also wonder if maybe their tendency to keep to themselves isn't, at least partially, a result of our society's tendency to alienate them. And if the author glosses over certain elements of fundamentalism that society finds offensive, could that not be simply because pretty much everything culture and the media have to say about them is negative? We're already thoroughly familiar with how sexist and homophobic and radical evangelicals supposedly are because that's about all we hear about them. In my opinion, hearing something good (and true) about evangelicals is refreshing.

John girl? The author has been through grad school!