Heather's Reviews > The Red Tent

Dec 29, 10

Recommended to Heather by: Gina
Recommended for: historical fiction
Read from December 20 to 28, 2010, read count: 1

Anita Diamant provides a beautifully written account of what life may have been like for the women surrounding the patriarchs Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Joseph. I loved the full personalities drawn for these women who are only mentioned briefly in the biblical account. Although Diamant firmly roots her narrative in scriptural events she twines these artfully with fictional details that form a full-bodied narrative rich in personal and cultural detail. I grew to love these women and felt a deep appreciation for their sacrifices. Even though I know the basic stories from the Bible, I still read intensely to find out how Diamant would portray the next chapter in the story.

Some readers may have issues with some of the more human traits attributed to these patriarchs and their families. I felt it deepened my understanding of their times and their contributions to culture and religion. I came away with a better appreciation for this part of the Bible and this time in religious history.

Content Notes: Plenty of sex but it's more on the matter-of-fact side than the salacious detail side. One incident of violence when Levi and Simeon kill Dinah's husband and the other men of the city.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Tent.