David Fenton's Reviews > The Blind Man of Seville

The Blind Man of Seville by Robert Wilson

Oct 26, 10

Read from September 06 to October 20, 2010

This story, told through the dual narratives of standard third-person and diary entries, is expertly handled. The opening chapters can seem slow at times due to the use of Spanish terminology as well as the need to introduce as many of the main players as possible. However, the pace soon picks up as Javier Falcon, the detective, investigates the murder of a leading restaurateur, struggles with the demands of a new job in a new city, and seeks to understand the motivations of his late father, a famous painter, through the diaries he left explicit instructions for Javier to destroy without reading.

The city of Seville is is brought to life in shimmering detail while the scenes in Tangier and the Spanish Civil War are equally evocative. Javier Falcon is a mesmerising lead character as his mental state slowly begins to unravel in the face of startling revelations from both the present murders and his father's dark past in Tangier.

I'm not normally a reader of crime fiction but I was recommended this book and I can equally recommend it to others.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blind Man of Seville.

09/06/2010 page 3
1.0% "Recommended to me even though I don't generally read crime fiction. Thought I'd give it a go."
10/12/2010 page 247
42.0% "Took me a long time to get into this book but I'm flying now..."