Lynette's Reviews > A Darcy Christmas

A Darcy Christmas by Sharon Lathan

Dec 14, 10

Read from September 06 to November 19, 2010

A DARCY CHRISTMAS is an anthology featuring several Christmas short stories featuring Jane Austen’s beloved characters from Pride and Prejudice; Darcy and Elizabeth.

Mr. Darcy’s Christmas Carol by Carolyn Eberhart is the first story in A DARCY CHRISTMAS anthology. Mr. Darcy’s Christmas Carol is an amusing story. Instead of proposing to Elizabeth after she thanks him for his help with her sister, Darcy remains quiet. Jane and Mr. Bingley are married and Mr. Darcy is spending a quiet holiday alone when the ghost of his father arrives and informs him that he will be visited by three ghosts; the Ghost of Christmas Past (his mother), the Ghost of Christmas Present (Georgiana), and the Ghost of Christmas Future (Lady Catherine de Bough). As Mr. Darcy goes through these different Christmas experiences, he learns about himself, the drawbacks of having too much pride, and how missed opportunities can alter the course of your entire life.

Mr. Darcy’s Christmas Carol is a cute tale. I especially loved how the author seamlessly blended the two original stories Pride and Prejudice and A Christmas Carol to create an engaging and heart-warming story. Mr. Darcy’s Christmas Carol stayed true to life with Mr. Darcy’s character and I felt that it was perfectly plausible that he would’ve went down that road if things had been different. What was harder for me to buy into was the road Elizabeth’s character went down. I found it hard to believe she’d pine like that given her will and strength of character. The ending where Mr. Darcy became awakened to a fuller self and recognized he needed to change his ways was very well done and I ended the story with a small on my face. I highly recommend trying Mr. Darcy’s Christmas Carol.

The next story in the A DARCY CHRISTMAS anthology was Christmas Present by Amanda Grange. Mr. and Mrs. Darcy are married and have decided to travel to visit Jane and Mr. Bingley at their home for a family get together because Elizabeth has not seen Jane’s new baby. She makes the journey despite nearing the end of her confinement. At the Christmas celebration, the majority of the beloved characters are there as the Darcy’s welcome in a new addition to the family and there is the possibility of romance for Kitty.

Christmas Present was my favorite novella in A DARCY CHRISTMAS even though it was the shortest. It was the most well rounded plot and character wise, had a better flow with the pacing and the characters temperaments remained true-to-life to Ms. Austen’s original interpretations. A Christmas Present was a heartwarming read and everything I had expected when I picked up A DARCY CHRISTMAS.

A Darcy Christmas by Sharon Lathan has readers visit the Darcy’s during Christmas throughout the years as we get to sit in with them and relive their Christmas celebrations.

Unfortunately, I was unable to finish this entry into A DARCY CHRISTMAS. There didn’t seem to be any plot, nothing we were supposed to learn, just random pages thrown together. I keep reading wishing for more cohesion and got frustrated after a while when I didn’t get it. I understand this author has an extensive fan base in the Pride and Prejudice remake land, but it was just not for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Darcy Christmas.

09/06/2010 page 111
11/17/2010 page 171
56.0% "The first two stories are okay. Not what I expected. I'm now about to shart the Sharon Lathan one. I've never been able to finish the first book in her Darcy series no matter how many times I tried. I'll see if I can finish this one!"