Emily's Reviews > Incarceron

Incarceron by Catherine Fisher

Jan 20, 12

bookshelves: owned, dystopia, 2012, took-multiple-tries, series
Recommended for: People who want a good plot, people who like the politics of royal courts and such places
Read from December 18, 2011 to January 19, 2012

This book took me a long time to read. I actually started this before the last two books I reviewed, so I've been reading this since Christmas. But I didn't read it for a while so I could read my new books I got as gifts. Then I just read it really slowly which I don't have a reason for. I don't really have much to say on this book, so this reviews going to be pretty short.

I enjoyed this book. I'm honestly not sure why I couldn't really get into it. I liked the characters well enough, and I felt bad for them a few times, but I didn't really feel much emotion for them until the end, and even then not that much. The ending was pretty good by the way. I was satisfied with the ending and it wasn't a huge cliff hanger which was good. (Also I kinda loved the Warden by the end. Is that weird? Was that not supposed to happen?)
The mystery of Incarceron is slowly revealed over time, with a big hunk of information about it at the end. There was also plenty of action and adventures throughout the book which is why I'm not sure why I couldn't get into it. The story was really interesting, with all the politics of royalty and the harsh life in the prison. Claudia and Finn's worlds truly are different. There weren't a lot of huge plot twists but there certainly some fairly big ones. I didn't predict what was going to happen except for with a few minor things which was certainly good.
Ultimately it was just ok for me. I seriously don't know why it took me so long to get through. I guess I just don't pay enough attention while I'm reading to know what's wrong. I just zone into the book and forget everything else. Not sure if I'm gonna read the sequel. I think I'll check out the reviews on it first and see what people think. This is either gonna be a book that I almost completely forget about, or in about a year I'm gonna remember it and not be able to stop myself from rereading it. I can't tell yet.

3 Stars

*Side note: I like this cover much more than the other one. The cover is part of why I wanted the book, it's just so cool looking!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Incarceron.