Sam's Reviews > The Fall

The Fall by Albert Camus

M_50x66
Sep 08, 10

Read in September, 2010

This book has got me thinking real deep and philsophical. It has got me analaysing my interior and exterior motives, questioning my demons, and revaluating my morals, has got me quizzing my thoughts, demolishing my quires and at times even sguandering and blunting my hopes. I know it's praccticually blonderd my verdbrae.

This is in no way I assure you a bad thing. Though Camus has given my brain and thoughts the kind of sincre flushing they ever so derley needed. After reading this i accept me for me more than, maybe ever before. On the contray it has made my dreams seem like they can become reality, but never to over-invest in them. It quite an elgant piece of literature "the fall". Shall I tell you what its about then?

The story is told style of narration is a type of second-person monologue, by the self proclaimed "judge-penitent",named Jean-Baptiste Clamence dicussing his rise and ultimitley his fall, from being a wealthy lawyer, intelligent individual and quite a charm with the ladies. To a lost and lonley man fighting off motony and boredom of life. He is sharing all this with a stranger he meets in bar in amstredam, the setting by the way. I could go on forever and ever writing a review on this book, as there is so much to say, but i wont start because i dare say i wouldnt finish. What I shall do though is subtract extracts form the book, that stod out persoanlly for me as individual, here's why i loved this novela so much.

"Have you noticed that death alone awakness our feelings? How we love friends who have just left us? How we admire those of our teachers who have ceased to speak, there mouths filled with earth? Then the experssion of admiration springs forth naturally, the admiration they where perhaps excpecting from us all life long. But do you know why we were always more just and more genrous towards the dead? The reason is simple. With them there is no obligation. They leave us free and we can take our time, fit the testimonial in between a cocktail party and a nice little mistress, in our spare time, in short. If they forced us to anything, it would be rembering, and we have a short memory. No, it's the recently dead we love among our friends, the painful dead, our emotion, ourselves after all!"

"Power on the other hand settles everything".

"Charm is: getting the answer yes without having asked a question".

"I have accepeted duplicity without being upset about it"

"But what do i care? Dont lies eventually lead to the truth? And dont all my stories, true or false, tend towards the same conclusion? Dont they all have the same meaning? So what does it matter whether they are true or false if, in both cases, they are significant of what i have been and of what i am? Sometimes it is easier to see clearly into a liar than into man who tells the truth. Truth, like light blinds, False hood on the contray, is a beautiful twilight thst enhances every object. Well, taake it how you like, i was named pope in a prison camp"

oh how i could go on and on swiftly and sweatly, i could quite easily just quote the whole book. I will stop this review on, afterall no one really what i say or how i say it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fall.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Well, Sam, you also write very well, and you clearly are a deep reader. Why not reread for spelling before going to 'post'? Someone might actually read your review! (and find it helpful - I'm trying to remember the title of the book I chose to read & analyze in French in High School 40 years ago.)