NebraskaIcebergs's Reviews > Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.

Sep 06, 10

bookshelves: own

"Do picture books even have plots?" My husband asked me this after I had finished outlining a picture book in an attempt to learn how to improve plots in my own stories. The author of the writing book wherein I found the activity seems to think they do. To complete her exercise, I had outlined Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr. and John Archambault which I had bought at Nebraska's Plum Creek Literacy Festival.

Here's how the tale of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom goes: There are these letters and they meet up and each tell one another that they're going to meet at the top of a coconut tree. Of course, the rest of the letters in the alphabet don't want to be left out and so they all come running up and start climbing the coconut tree too. Will there be room? Therein is the dilemma. As for the solution, well, you need to check out this bold and beautiful book to find out. As you can see, simple as it might be, this picture book at least has a plot.

This being a picture book, illustration is just as important as text. Here, each page is framed with a bright polka-dotted solid rectangular frame. In the center is a tree made of geometrical shapes. Along the bottom and later along the trunk are lower case letters of every color. If you buy the anniversary edition, you'll also receive a poster.

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is a fun tale sure to both engage and teach preschoolers with its fast rhythm and bright pages. If you're an adult? Find a child, clap your hands, and enjoy the book too!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chicka Chicka Boom Boom.