Rachel's Reviews > My Dog Tulip

My Dog Tulip by J.R. Ackerley

Aug 30, 11

Read from August 14 to 29, 2011

The chapters describing Ackerley’s dog’s poop and his lack of disposing of said poop were the best part of the book. I guess that’s a mixed compliment given my general disregard for the book as a whole, however, I did genuinely find this part interesting mainly b/c of how it was a reflection of the time period and just how different things were in society then.
Now for the rest of the book: I really really disliked it. How on earth does anyone consider this to be a classic of dog lover literature? The man not once but twice considers drowning his dog’s newborn puppies in a bucket of water. Let me repeat that, the author admits without qualm that the very same puppies he tried so hard to have his dog have are the ones he was seconds away from drowning in a bucket of water. Nice guy.
Then there is the overly detailed description of his dog’s heat and breeding. This man’s fascination with his dog’s nether regions and her sex life were more than a bit unsettling. I can accept that things were different then and getting a dog fixed wasn’t the norm, but I can’t get over his desire to become so involved in his dog’s reproduction. Dogs managed to have sex just fine before the invention of Vaseline and if you ever get to the point in your life when you consider applying it to your dog, well, seek help, don’t write a book about it.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Dog Tulip.