Ronyell's Reviews > Vampire Academy

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

6 stars!

When my friends told me about Richelle Mead’s popular “Vampire Academy” series, I just had to check this series out! Wow and double wow, this book was a brilliant introduction to the “Vampire Academy” series and after I had read this book, I really wanted to read more about these awesome characters! Full of drama, mystery, action and hot romance, “Vampire Academy” is definitely one novel that will take the paranormal world by storm!

For two years, Rose Hathaway and Vasilisa “Lissa” Dragomir, escaped from St. Vladimir’s Academy to go into hiding, but they were soon discovered by the school’s guardians and were brought back to the academy. Little does anyone know Rose took her best friend Lissa out of the academy because there was a great danger being posed against Lissa and only Rose can protect her from the forces of evil.

Now, should I give this book a six star rating? Yes, definitely yes! This novel is clearly the one that defines what a true paranormal romance is all about and I am so glad that all my friends had recommended me this book! Richelle Mead’s writing is extremely and unbelievably amazing as it is full of action and adventure and I loved the sort of mature “Harry Potter” spin on this story as both stories involve the main characters going to a magical school. I also loved the way that the plot never once slows down and the story keeps getting more exciting as the story went on and that was what I loved about the writing. The way that Richelle Mead made this story being told from Rose’s point of view on the events that unfold at the academy was truly remarkable and hilarious at the same time as we know how Rose really feels about the situations around her and I loved hearing her inner thoughts on various people at school as some of them are really hilarious, such as thinking of many ways to beat up the school bully Mia. I really loved the world that Rose and her friends live in as they all go to a school for vampires or more specifically, a school for Dhampir and Moroi students and that really brings out the creativity in this novel. Now, my favorite part of the book were the characters as they were all interesting, but the two characters in this book that were my favorites were Rose Hathaway and Russian guardian, Dimitri Belikov. Rose Hathaway was such an awesome heroine because she is extremely brave and independent and even though I sometimes found her hot temper to be a little annoying at times, it is because she tries to protect her best friend Lissa from danger. That is another aspect that I loved about Rose because she is always willing to put her life on the line to keep her friend Lissa safe and that just proves what a true friend Rose is. I also loved how Rose always provides humor for the story as she is always making wisecracks about the situations around her and I especially loved her inner thoughts on taking care of the school bullies, which unfortunately involves her beating them up. Now onto the hero and that is Dimitri Belikov! Dimitri was one hero that is so hot and awesome at the same time and I loved the scenes of him fighting off anyone who tries to harm Rose! I also loved the mysterious and dark attitude that he seems to give off towards everyone around him, but he also has a heart of gold and I loved the moments where he smiles at Rose and shows genuine concern for her safety. It just makes me feel so tingly inside every time he shows kindness towards Rose!
As for Dimitri and Rose’s relationship, it is kind of unknown to me at this point about where they stand, but there are still some pretty heartwarming and sexy moments between these two that I will definitely keep an eye out for!

Surprisingly, there is a strong amount of language and violence in this book and anyone who does not like reading strong language might want to skip over them. Also, the violence in this book is pretty graphic as there is gore aplenty in this book, so that might be something that anyone who is not a big fan of graphic violence might want to check over.

Overall, “Vampire Academy” is definitely one paranormal book that every paranormal romance fan will read over and over again! Did this novel help me get more into the series? You bet it did and now I’m going to read the second book in the series, “Frostbite.”

Review is also on: Rabbit Ears Book Blog

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vampire Academy.

Quotes Ronyell Liked

Richelle Mead
“Only a true best friend can protect you from your immortal enemies.”

Richelle Mead
“Did you see that dress?” "I saw the dress.” "Did you like it?” He didn't answer. I took that as a yes. "Am I going to endanger my reputation if I wear it to the dance?” When he spoke, I could barely hear him. "You'll endanger the school.” I smiled and fell asleep.”

Richelle Mead
“Do you think I'm pretty?
I think you're beautiful
Beautiful?
You are so beautiful, it hurts sometimes.”

Richelle Mead
“And than suddenly he was there, charging down the hallway like death in a cowboy duster.”

Richelle Mead
“Wow." I hadn't thought Dimitri could be any cooler, but I was wrong. "You beat up your dad. I mean, that's really horrible...what happened. But, wow. You really are a god."
He blinked. "What?"
"Uh, nothing.”

Richelle Mead
“The only thing better than imagining Dimitri carrying me in his arms was imagining him shirtless while carrying me in his arms.”
Richelle Mead, Vampire Academy

09/06/2010 "Just bought this book today!!! Hopefully I'll be able to read it soon!!"
06/09/2011
30.0% "Getting good so far..."
06/11/2011
39.0% "Whoa!! Dimitri is one awesome tough guy!!! :D"
06/13/2011
60.0% "Wow!!! Dimitri is one HOT hero!!!"
06/14/2011
100.0% "Finished!! Review soon to come!!"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Curious to see what you think about this one.

Ronyell Yeah, I heard that this book was really good, so I thought that I'll check it out! I can't wait to see what is in this book!!!

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather Oh yes, you started this series! Excellent, and like Brenda said, can't wait to hear what you think of this one..

Ronyell Thanks Heather!!! I really can't wait to check out this book!!

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather If you have read or are reading HON series I think you will find this one more refreshing and better..

Ronyell Thanks Heather!! What is the HON series?

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather The House of Night series. Easier to call is HON..

Ronyell Hmmm... that's sounds interesting... I'll have to check it out!

message 9: by Heather (new)

Heather OK, just know that there are 6 or 7 books in the series and the next comes out either the end of this year or sometime next year..

Ronyell Wow... 6 or 7 books!!! I might check it out still since I went through Harry Potter even though I haven't finished the last book yet.

message 11: by Heather (new)

Heather OMG, you haven't finished it yet??? OK, so what are you waiting for??? Spring of 2015???

Ronyell Well, I was reading all of these other books that I forgot about reading the final book of Harry Potter! But, I'm gonna make it my goal to read the final book by the end of this year! :)

Rhonda Another great series!!! I think Mead pushed the PG-13 envelope in book 3!! But I'm not complaining!!! Have you read any of her ADULT books??? They're all good!! I guess I can help myself to your shelves to see what you've read!!!

Ronyell No, I haven't read Richelle Mead's adult books yet. :D But, I'm planning on reading them!

♥  Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness OMG! I thought everyone had read this series. Well enjoy the journey, but I have to agree with Rhonda that she is pushing it with the PG-13. I most certainly would have a good hard think before letting my 13yr old read it. Then again, knowing what I knew when I was 13 this would properly be a walk in the park.

Ronyell Oh yeah! It's kind of hard trying to decide what books are appropriate for your child when they are like the craze!

Aredhel How do you like it so far? I guess, I'm the only one in here who didn't like it :)) So I'm really curious to know what you think of it :))

Ronyell I haven't read it yet since I am still reading East :( But once I'm finished reading East then I will start on Vampire Academy right away and I'll let everyone know how I felt about this book. :))

Rhonda This is my favorite YA series, I don't get too excited about YA, but if Meade writes it, I'll be reading it.
Great review!!

Ronyell Thanks Rhonda!! So far, this is the best YA series I have read!!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Yaaaaaaaaay!!! So glad you loved it!!! I love Rose!

Ronyell Me too Annie! Rose is awesome!!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Good review, Ronyell. I seems we like the same thing about this one!

Ronyell Thanks Danielle!! Dimitri is so awesome!!!

message 25: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Great review! I appreciate your warning on the violence level as I don't really like violent/gory books though this one does sound like a great book overall.

Ronyell Thanks Kathryn!! I love warning fellow readers about the violence, but this really is a great book!

Aredhel Really glad you liked it! I wasn't that fortunate :(
Don't really remember my first impressions, but I still remember that I totally hated Dimitri's Russian accent! So maybe the main problem I had with this book was the narrator (I listened to the audio version). And I didn't really like how Lissa was voiced..Hmm..Maybe I could have had better experience with this book if I had read it instead of listening to it..
Still very happy for you!! 6 stars - it's a rare thing :))

Ronyell Aredhel wrote: "Really glad you liked it! I wasn't that fortunate :(

Thanks Aredhel! I actually just read the book since I rarely listen to books on audiobooks since sometimes they don't have the right people to narrate the story. So, I probably would have hated this story too if I listened to it on audiobook.

Wendy Darling Hah, I love that you've rated this SIX stars. I love this series, too. I think it was an unusual choice to tell this from Rose's POV too, rather than Lissa's, for example, as many authors would have done.

Ronyell Wendy Darling wrote: "Hah, I love that you've rated this SIX stars. I love this series, too. I think it was an unusual choice to tell this from Rose's POV too, rather than Lissa's, for example, as many authors would hav..."

Yeah, whenever I come across books that I really like, I give them the big 6! I agree that I thought that Lissa should have been narrating the story since this story is about her.

message 31: by Anni (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anni would you leave a comment about the book on my blog?

message 32: by Sana (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sana Watch this video I created about the cast of Vampire Academy & Bloodlines.

Ronyell Anni wrote: "would you leave a comment about the book on my blog?

Alright!

Ronyell Sanaá wrote: "Watch this video I created about the cast of Vampire Academy & Bloodlines.

Alright! I'll check it out!

Michael Did you see the movie yet? The movie really needs fans to pull through because as of now its a flop. So please support the movie :)

Ronyell Michael wrote: "Did you see the movie yet? The movie really needs fans to pull through because as of now its a flop. So please support the movie :)"

No, I haven't yet, but I'm planning to.