Justin Evans's Reviews > The Wapshot Chronicle

The Wapshot Chronicle by John Cheever

Sep 05, 10

bookshelves: fiction
Read in September, 2010

So, there are two types of card games. One you play usually as an adult, and each hand has an effect on the following hand. You know, you keep score and there's an ultimate goal. Then there are the games you play, usually as a kid, where each hand stands completely on its own. No scoring. No advantage to winning a hand. And this book is like the second. If you're not really involved in the hand you're playing/chapter you're reading, there's no reason to pay any attention whatsoever, because the following chapter/hand is a whole new beginning.
This is a silly analogy, I know, but it's really how I felt reading the book. Half the time I just couldn't care and would rather have been watching TV. Half the time I was really into it. Chapter 8 was amazing- but has no connection to chapter 1-7, or most of the rest of the book. Characters just disappear without trace, constantly. I can't believe it won the National Book Award. That said, it's kind of like watching one of those eccentric BBC shows, with the wacky characters and odd situations and nice set pieces.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wapshot Chronicle.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Pamfrommd I agree completely. Your review gave me the nerve to gently shut the book and give up.

Justin Evans Thanks Pam! Glad to be of service!