Kristen's Reviews > Between Shades of Gray

Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys

Sep 05, 2010

bookshelves: youngadult, own-it, multicultural, historical-fiction, favorites, war-stories
Read from March 05 to 06, 2012

First Impression:
I have had this book on my shelf for quite some time now. It took my YA literature class to push me to read it. I needed a historical fiction and I knew that one had been raved about. Future award winner talk and all that good stuff you want to hear about a book.

While Reading:
This book starts right in the thick of things, the night that Lina, her mother and her brother are taken from their home. Throughout the book, she remembers that night, how she wishes she would have brought the steaming fresh loaf of bread on her window. Lina seems almost dazed at the beginning of the book and it is painted perfectly in this novel, her emotions overwhelming her thoughts. Her mother's mantra is to stay together, no matter what. Her brother almost gets taken at one point and all the while I am cheering for them to prevail.

This isn't your usual novel as it is about the Soviet side of the war and they too killed so many people while occupying different countries. The beautiful part of the book is Lina's keen attachment to drawing, to trying to let her father know that they are surviving by leaving her artwork. It is hard to describe how wonderful this book is. There is romance, there is stubbornness and the characters are ones you will not soon forget. Most of all, it's a story about survival and finding the best in those around us.

Verdict:
I love this book and hope everyone who reads it will as well. A touching and moving story that truly reveals human nature in every situation: the good, the bad and the ugly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between Shades of Gray.