Tee Jay's Reviews > Firestarter

Firestarter by Stephen King

Sep 21, 10

Recommended for: Fans of Stephen King
Read from September 05 to 21, 2010, read count: 2

** spoiler alert ** This is the second time I've read Firestarter. The first time I read it was fifteen years ago when I was in grade nine; a lot of things I remembered reading in Firestarter are no longer the same. Indeed, this reading experience was vastly different from the former. For one thing, I realized how dated Firestarter is. For example, there is a lot of text describing "newfangled" computer systems that are just off. Computers in the late 1970s were not able to "predict" what humans were going to do by merely inserting some vague algorithm that is only hinted at in mysterious terms. Unfortunately, instead of these machines coming across as state-of-the-art, the impression is that these machines are akin to magic, perhaps even alchemy.

Also, so much more could have been done with the plot of Firestarter. Upon reading the novel for the second time, I found it to be somewhat lackluster and that, friends and neighbours, was disappointing. It was simple, to the point, but it was also difficult to get to know the characters on a personal level, to care about them deeply—something that happens quite easily in other works written by King.

Nonetheless, Firestarter is alright, I enjoyed it, and it is a fast and easy read. King completists will definitely want to check out this title, to assuage their curiosity if nothing else.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firestarter.