Heather's Reviews > The Crimson Petal and the White

The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber

Mar 16, 11

Read from February 17 to March 15, 2011

This could have been great if not for the horribly abrupt and unsatisfying ending and the fact that it was twice as long as it needed to be. And the gratuitous narrator intrusions. I heard the author took a million years to write this book and it suddenly made sense why his characters seemed to change completely from one chapter to the next: he must have forgotten who they were as he took a year or five off from writing here and there. He also literally loses the plot several times, which is kind of a gobstopper when you're dealing with ~900 pages.

Those major strikes against it aside, the concept is brilliant and the world details are amazing. By amazing I mean filthy. Worth the time to read, especially if you're a fan of Victorian lit and like to see someone turn the convention on its head (though Sarah Waters does it much better).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crimson Petal and the White.

02/17/2011 page 20
2.0% "Just started this and am already catching a whiff of gimmicky narrator disease. Still, subject matter is like catnip to me. We'll see..."