Vanessa's Reviews > The Forest of Hands and Teeth

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

Dec 09, 10

bookshelves: young-adult-books-i-love
Read from September 11 to 12, 2010

I loved this book. I’m not a huge fan of present tense writing, but I really liked this one, and it worked well enough that I sometimes forgot I was evening reading in present tense. It was sad, and is the first YA book I’ve read in a long time that actually had me tearing up at one point near the end.

Ryan does an excellent job of connecting her characters with her readers. Mary’s emotions are tangible, relatable and understandable, and the world that is created was done with enough subtlety that I could fill in the gaps and make of it a tragic, gorgeous picture. Even with the zombies.

I also really liked that the ending, despite all the sadness and things that Mary had to give up, leaves the reader feeling a spark of hope. Like what you imagine the character herself is feeling.

When I started it, I was afraid it would be a weird combination of a B zombie movie and the Village. I was pleasantly surprised to find that while the very beginning did remind me of the Village, the rest of the book went places I had never dreamed of, and did it with amazing clarity and direction. Can’t wait to read The Dead-Tossed Waves!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forest of Hands and Teeth.