Stacie's Reviews > The Queen's Mistake

The Queen's Mistake by Diane Haeger

Sep 05, 2010

Anne Boleyn has been the subject of many books and movies, while her young cousin, Catherine Howard's story is not as well known but is also rife with tragedy and drama. Mrs. Haeger's novel, The Queen's Mistake, chronicles the life of Henry VIII's fifth wife, Catherine Howard. The book was an easy read, but very entertaining. To my knowledge, while no new historical facts were presented, I found the story of Catherine Howard was told with a fresh perspective in this novel. I especially liked the romanticized development of the relationship between Catherine and Thomas Culpeper, so reminiscent of young love. Although I knew the outcome of the story, I still found myself rooting for Catherine and Culpeper to be together.

Mrs. Haegar has a great talent for making you feel like you're amongst the court of Henry VIII. Her descriptions of the surroundings, clothing, food, etc. are very vivid. I also enjoyed the back story involving Mary Lassells and how her envy of Catherine helped bring down the young queen's downfall.

I felt very sorry for Catherine. She was so young and naive and never had the opportunity to reach her potential and come into her own.

I look forward to reading more of Mrs. Haegar's books!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queen's Mistake.

01/22 marked as: read