Joy's Reviews > Avalon Revisited

1934818
Sep 05, 10

bookshelves: 2010-reads, kindle, fiction
Read in September, 2010

I liked Soulless by Gail Carriger and based on some Amazon reviews I thought this would be a similar paranormal, steampunk, romance. Well, the only good things I can say about this poorly conceived and written tripe are: 1. I got it cheap for my Kindle, and 2. I managed to finish the book. It may appeal to paranormal romance readers, but it didn't work for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Avalon Revisited.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jayda OMG, "tripe" was the first word that came to my mind to describe this too! And I'm only on page 20. :o/ I don't know that I'll be as brave as you and able to finish this... well... tripe! ;o)

message 2: by Joy (new) - rated it 1 star

Joy Thanks Jayda! It just isn't good, but I have this thing about finishing books...my husband makes fun of me for finishing books I don't like all the time (probably because he listens to me moaning and complaining about them as I struggle through)!

Jayda Well... sometimes, reading through the stinkers can be "fun-bad," like watching a really cheesy movie that makes you groan a lot, but you're laughing and getting SOMETHING out of it, at least... I've encountered a few of those and didn't feel SO ripped off, you know?

I have a feeling already this book isn't fun like that. The hero is just atrocious and the "wit" I've seen so far is really brainless and it's the kind of thing where the author *thinks* she's writing something funny, and it splats across the floor like a rotten egg.

I'm going to at least read until I meet the heroine and see if she helps matters. But from other one-star reviews I've read, it sounds like she kinda doesn't! Ugh...

Ah well... at least it was only $4. ;)

message 4: by Joy (new) - rated it 1 star

Joy Very true about the "fun-bad." Unfortunately, this book is not fun at all. The heroine doesn't help anything- it's plain awful! I was lucky it only cost me $3! I think you've captured the book accurately just based on the beginning. I'm happy another reviewer thought it was tripe too!

Jayda I know it! I felt relieved when I read your review... when I saw so many four and five-star ones, I'm thinking... "Okay, what the HELL is wrong with me?" Obviously, my standards are a bit higher than most.

I mean... hey, I love smut-reads as much as the next guilty pleasure, but it needs to be grammatically correct smut, free of comma splices and period-accurate if it's a period piece... oh, and how about h/H's we actually LIKE?

Am I asking so much? LOL