Robert's Reviews > The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl

The Worst Hard Time by Timothy Egan

Sep 05, 10

bookshelves: 2010

This was one of my choice "books of the summer" -- I read it along with The Grapes of Wrath and I really liked them both. Although there were a few ways I could quibble with this book, I won't bother -- what a stunning portrait of an environment turned upside down. The sun (and even the front yard) disappearing behind a cloud of lung-clogging deadly dust, animals and children dying with clogged lungs, drought and dispair disbelieved in more urban areas until the storms bring the dirt to coat their lives -- it all combines to be a most memorable tale, even now months after I read it.

What I find particularly interesting to mull over now, beyond the evironmental distaster itself, is the story of how it came to be. Government intervention, human greed and self-centeredness, war, ignorance -- all played a role.

This is a good book, almost a great one and I'm glad I read it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Worst Hard Time.