Kenneth Rathburn's Reviews > The Hunt for Red October

The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy

M 50x66
Sep 13, 10

Tom Clancy isn't one to shrug technical descriptions aside, and The Hunt for Red October is no exception. Until we're actually told, we're given a legitimately engaging story that has us pondering whether Ramius will attack or defect-the opening pages being particularly eyebrow-raising. Since Clancy is so fond of his military knowledge, we get the usual abundance of them here and it does, as with his other works, impede potentially greater connections with us as readers. Though we do get some good, likable characters throughout who are adequately detailed, it's never to the point that we'll feel heart-broken if anything (will) happen(s) to them. Conversely, those of us who take interest in Clancy's type of seemingly textbook-infused writing style will fine a lot to become interested in. Since I appreciate the nice mix of this with the story, it turns out to be a fair compensation. Overall, this is an engaging read that, even with a few hiccups, manages to execute what it provides about as well as possible.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunt for Red October.