Nikki's Reviews > Half a Crown

Half a Crown by Jo Walton

Oct 19, 10

bookshelves: historical-fiction-alternatehistory, lgbt, dystopia, welsh-writing
Read from October 03 to 19, 2010

A part of me wants to rate this book less highly because things don't turn out the way I want them to turn out -- my definition of a happy ending. There is a sort of happy ending here, though, and the release of tension is amazing, and the whole book makes me feel so much, so I can't dock it points just because it doesn't end exactly the way I want it to end.

If I was to take off a star, it'd be because everything seems to fall into place just a little too easily. But at the same time, it works, for me anyway.

It's hard to like the female narrator, Elvira, because she's just... so unenlightened about the situation she's living in. She becomes a lot more likeable as it goes on, though, and though she doesn't become as aware as I'd like, I suppose her education would be a bit of a mirror of Lucy Kahn's, and the timescale doesn't really work for it.

I still love Carmichael, and I ache for him -- the position he's put in, and what happens to him.

The world Jo Walton creates is chilling and awful and believable, and hurtful. She's good with the gut-punch, because she did it to me in Farthing and Ha'penny too. Somehow, I just never expect it until I suddenly can't quite breathe.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half a Crown.

10/13/2010 page 152
48.0% "Glad to see a little more of Jack. Sad that Elvira doesn't know. Wondering how the promise on the dust jacket about Elvira and Carmichael teaming up to beat fascism will turn out -- not seeing much of it so far."
10/17/2010 page 182
57.0% "Oh NO, Elvira! I thought this kind of thing would happen but ugghhh."
10/19/2010 page 226
71.0% "Oh Elvira! I can't believe there's so little of the book left... *bites nails*"
10/19/2010 page 252
79.0% "Well that put an end to my complacent feeling that everything would turn out okay."
show 1 hidden update…