Richard Wright's Reviews > Home Before Dark: The Collected Cedar Hill Stories, Volume 2

Home Before Dark by Gary A. Braunbeck

Sep 05, 10

bookshelves: 2010
Read in September, 2010

Whether I was in a different, more receptive mood, or whether there is a more even consistency in tone to the stories, I found the second collection of Braunbeck's Cedar Hill tales a far more engaging, though no less alarming and beautiful, selection than the first. Perhaps because it builds on the work accomplished by the first volume, Graveyard People, or perhaps because the backdrop is becoming more rooted and established now, the collection left a concrete aftertaste, a feeling that I know this town. Cedar Hill, fifty thousand souls, big enough to get lost in, small enough to know. Weird Shit Happens Here. Braunbeck's trademark lyricism breaks your heart over and over again in this book. Nothing is taboo, because this is the sort of horror that makes you understand where darkness comes from, but it's written with such courage and soul that it rises far above the gutter, and somehow becomes something beautiful. An outstanding collection, and I look forward to the third volume, hopefully sometime next year.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Home Before Dark.