Jennifer Defoy's Reviews > The Glamour of Grammar: A Guide to the Magic and Mystery of Practical English

The Glamour of Grammar by Roy Peter Clark

May 22, 2011

bookshelves: hachette-giveaway-books, 2011-reads
Read from October 11, 2010 to April 24, 2011

What I liked the most about this book is that it wasn't written like a grammar book. It was written more like a story that had grammar tips added into it. It was kind of like a copy of Writer's Inc. with a story behind it. And while I'd never get rid of my copy of Writer's Inc. I think this will make a nice addition to my grammar tools arsenal.

I have to admit that I'm not the best grammatical writer. I don't remember most of the rules I learned in school (frankly I didn't care to really remember them). So while I was reading this some of it seemed new to me. The greatest thing about this book is that it taught me something without making me realize I was being taught. Since I'm finishing up my degree, reading for learning isn't something I want to do with my spare time. After reading this I have to admit that I didn't get that feeling even once throughout the book. I think that was a great feat within itself, writing a book that is meant to teach something not feel like it was teaching anything at all.

I still don't remember all the rules that were in this one, but I think I have a better understanding of why some rules of grammar exist and why some are breakable. I'm sure this one will be quite worn out before I finally finish my degree. It's already helped me write a few papers.

A review copy of this book was provided by the publisher. This is not a paid review and is a truthful and honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Glamour of Grammar.

10/11/2010 page 40