Marianne's Reviews > War and Peace

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

Sep 04, 2010

Read in January, 2009

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read War and Peace.

Quotes Marianne Liked

Leo Tolstoy
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
tags: war

Leo Tolstoy
“We can know only that we know nothing. And that is the highest degree of human wisdom.”

Leo Tolstoy
“When a man sees a dying animal, horror comes over him: that which he himself is, his essence, is obviously being annihilated before his eyes--is ceasing to be. But when the dying one is a person, and a beloved person, then, besides a sense of horror at the annihilation of life, there is a feeling of severance and a spiritual wound which, like a physical wound, sometimes kills and sometimes heals, but always hurts and fears any external, irritating touch.”
tags: death

Leo Tolstoy
“Yes, love, ...but not the love that loves for something, to gain something, or because of something, but that love that I felt for the first time, when dying, I saw my enemy and yet loved him. I knew that feeling of love which is the essence of the soul, for which no object is needed. And I know that blissful feeling now too. To love one's neighbours; to love one's enemies. To love everything - to Love God in all His manifestations. Some one dear to one can be loved with human love; but an enemy can only be loved with divine love. And that was why I felt such joy when I felt that I loved that man. What happened to him? Is he alive? ...Loving with human love, one may pass from love to hatred; but divine love cannot change. Nothing, not even death, can shatter it. It is the very nature of the soul. And how many people I have hated in my life. And of all people none I have loved and hated more than her.... If it were only possible for me to see her once more... once, looking into those eyes to say...”

Leo Tolstoy
“Pure and complete sorrow is as impossible as pure and complete joy.”

Leo Tolstoy
“Everything I know, I know because of love.”