Jinky's Reviews > Messenger

Messenger by Lois Lowry

Sep 17, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010
Read in September, 2010

Reference: The Giver (book #1), Gathering Blue (book #2), Messenger (book #3)

Let me begin to tell you that I had to re-align my thinking since book #2 because for some reason I had a wrong name in mind. I was quick to forget that the main character in book #1 was Jonas. For some reason when reading book #2 and saw the name Christopher, I pictured Jonas. So throughout book #2 and most of book #3 Christopher was Jonas to me. You can imagine how the story must have been different for me. I suppose knowing that now, I have two versions!! ~I think I need to take some Gingkoba 'cause I'm loosing it!!

Okay, now for Messenger. Well, Matt in book #2 is now Matty and speaker in this book He is six years older from where book #2 left off. We find that he ends up living in Christopher's village. There he learned manners and proper grammar. He found place as courier of messages between villages and does so going through the Forest with ease. Then Matty's new village started to change as the Trade Market comes to bloom. The kind-hearted people basically traded their souls for vanity and trivial amusements. The people changed so much that they got tired of welcoming in the damaged and voted to close their doors to newcomers. This charge compelled Matty to go back to his old town to get Kira to her father before the the closing. At this point, the Forest was not kind as well. In fact, it seemed to live to torture and kill those in its path, even fierce Matty. That said, Matty and Kira's journey back to Christopher became hell-like. In the mean time, Leader (with powers to see beyond) kept Christopher updated in his children's (Christopher had considered Matty his son) travel. When Leader saw that Matty and Kira was at death's door, he went after them. Kira with powers to depict what's ahead through her threading saw that Leader was on his way to meet them. But Leader too was at death's door. It became apparent that it was time to use Matty's power though he felt it wouldn't do much considering his condition. Then, ... you'll have to read the rest!

The whole trilogy was dark and dreary for most of it's story. It was painful to read but we find hope in the courage of it's amazing characters. We were reminded that a society can slowly and easily be corrupt. We are challenged to look around about us and know that individually we have power to help it to thrive well. We are all advocates to maintaining a civil society and securing that for our posterity. We are invited to discover and use our individual power for good. These are some of the things that I got out of these books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Messenger.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by K.D. (new)

K.D. Absolutely Now, this is a trilogy that I must complete. Thanks, Jinky!

♥ Marlene♥ OMG. Who the hell is Christopher then? I have done the same thing.LMAO

Maye I can totally relate to your review. I completely forgot Jonas' character and I thought that Christopher was Jonas' grown up.

Tracy The Leader is Jonas. Christopher is Kira's father.