Ravyn's Reviews > Blurring the Lines

Blurring the Lines by S.A. Payne

Sep 13, 10

bookshelves: all-mm-fiction, mm-favorites, c-cops-agents-spies, g-scifi-futuristic, re-read
Read in September, 2010

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I think S.A. Payne is a freaking genius when it comes to making up stories. She writes fantastic plots with fantastic characters, and Blurring the Lines happens to be one of my favorites. Like everything she does, it's creative, original, compelling, and just plain awesome.

However...I do have one major issue that may also be an issue for others, and that is with the atrocious spelling and punctuation problems throughout all this author's writing. I'm talking about run-on sentences galore and a near constant misuse of words like to/too, breath/breathe, lose/loose, then/than, slid/slide, its/it's, quit/quiet/quite, etc etc. Anyway, it can get pretty aggravating at times, and I think that some readers won't be able to get past it. Now typically, bad spelling and bad punctuation = bad writing, but weirdly enough, I don't really find that to be the case here. Actually, I think the prose and dialogue are quite fluid and natural, which ultimately allows me to overlook the spelling and punctuation errors. To be frank, I find this author's writing to be so compelling and fascinating that I would much much rather read the story (even with the aggravation of spelling/punctuation problems) than not read the story and miss out on such a great experience. The writing and content is actually quite good and very readable -- it's just that the spelling and punctuation is seriously messed up. Make sense?

Bottom Line: 5 stars for pure enjoyment of a great story from a great storyteller.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blurring the Lines.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Karen i totally agree with your assessments, on both counts. fabulous stories, lousy editing. sometimes i wonder if she's using some sort of voice to text program, it's the only explanation i can come up with.

message 2: by Ravyn (last edited Mar 27, 2011 12:18PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ravyn I dunno. It's a complete mystery to me what the problem is. I hate to openly speculate, but voice-to-text has occurred to me also.

HOWEVER, from what I've pieced together from the shoutbox on the author's website, I think she does have some kind of editor/beta who does some editing for her and actually is in charge of posting the stories to the website. (I think.) So again, I dunno what the problem is. I would think that with the second set of eyes, the editing issues should be more fixed.

I guess I get so hung up on the editing problems because I feel like her stories are SO good...and they just aren't being portrayed the way they deserve b/c half the content consists of run-on sentences and other major grammar and spelling errors. A lot of people have big problems with that kind of thing and won't want to read it because of that. And I don't even really blame them. It's annoying. And a relatively easy fix. Which makes it even more frustrating because I just don't understand why it doesn't get fixed.

Lola she pulls story out of her vagina left and right XD