Jane Stewart's Reviews > Dead Silence

Dead Silence by Brenda Novak

Sep 04, 10

bookshelves: romantic-suspense-relationships, 5-star-romantic-suspense
Read in August, 2008

What a wonderful book. I didn’t want to stop reading.

REVIEWER'S OPINION:
Complex characters. It kept me up late at night. It was in my thoughts throughout the day until I finished it. The romance and feelings of family love were wonderfully satisfying at the end. Just lovely. This book is the first in a trilogy.

STORY BRIEF:
Grace Montgomery was sexually molested by her stepfather. The locals believed her preacher stepfather "walked on water" and didn't know about his perversion. The stepfather died and only Grace, her mother and brother knew what really happened. Grace remembers burying him on the family farm. The rest of the town suspects the Montgomerys were at fault somehow, but no body is found. Grace slept with a few teenage boys in town during this troubling time of her life. She was made fun of and called white trash because of it. She left town, worked hard to get an education, was at the top of her college class and became an assistant D.A., never losing a case. She is still haunted by her past and returns to Stillwater for a couple of months, hoping to soothe and/or heal from her past. The local boys still make fun of her, and others still look down on her. Joe is one of those boys who slept with her as a teen. He desperately wants to do so again, but she won't have anything to do with him. He continues to try to hurt Grace and her family as much as he can. He believes they killed his uncle, the preacher, and continues to point fingers and search for evidence.

Kennedy had married his high school sweetheart Raelynn and had two boys, currently ages 8 and 10. Raelynn died in an auto accident a couple years earlier. His boys meet and love being with Grace. She is great with them as well. The boys and a few other occurrences bring Kennedy and Grace together, and he keeps learning new things about her, realizing he and the town have been wrong about her.

DATA:
Sexual language: none. Number of sex scenes: one (plus two more that were referred to: telling, not showing). Setting: current day small town Stillwater, Mississippi. Copyright: 2006. Genre: romantic suspense with emphasis on relationships.

OTHER BOOKS:
To date, I’ve read the following Brenda Novak books.
Stillwater Trilogy:
5 stars. Dead Silence. Copyrt 2006. Review Date 8/26/08.
4 stars. Dead Giveaway. Copyrt 2007. Review Date 6/01/09.
2.5 stars. Dead Right. Copyrt 2007. Review Date 6/03/09.

Last Stand Trilogy:
3 stars. Trust Me. Copyrt 2008. Review Date 6/01/09.
(not read) Stop Me. Copyrt 2008.
3 stars. Watch Me. Copyrt 2008. Review Date 6/8/09.
7 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Silence.

01/31 marked as: read

message 1: by Norma (new)

Norma I just put in an order for this at my library. I haven't read anything by her, but I've been wanting to.

message 2: by Wild (new) - added it

Wild Rose I read of noble birth,a historical romance by the same author,and what really amazed me was the CLEAN book-it was romantic,touchy yet clean :)

Jane Stewart Glad you liked it. Thanks Wild.

message 4: by ElaineY (new) - added it

ElaineY I just bought this with my Audible credit. Will start tonight. But 2.5 stars for the 3rd book? Off to find out why:0