Annie McElfresh's Reviews > Starstruck

Starstruck by Cyn Balog

Feb 26, 2011

bookshelves: 4-stars
Read in February, 2011

The beginning of this novel reads like a contemporary YA story. There really isn't any hint of supernatural elements until you get about 100 pages in, which is a lot considering this novel is only 256 pages long. The ONLY hint you will get is that Wish has somehow morphed into a head-turning hottie since the main character, Gwen, saw him last.

Gwen was a breath of fresh air. She's a girl with a bit of a weight issue, who wears her insecurities on her sleeve. That really drew me in. It made me want things to work out for her with Wish.

Wish seems like the perfect boyfriend. A guy who was her childhood best friend turned into a long-distance boyfriend. He's loyal, attentive and unbelievably gorgeous. He won me over because even though he's good-looking now, he still loves Gwen. That makes him a great guy in book, even if he dabbles in some supernatural, star manipulator to make people think he's hot.

I also liked Christian. The guy working at the bakery who has a troubled past. He really gets the ball rolling on the supernatural plot and I kinda wanted more to happen with him and Gwen.

All and all. I really liked it. The beginning was great and really set up the characters well, but the second half felt kinda rushed. There really wasn't a huge ah-ha moment when the truth comes out, which I kinda waited for. I would've also liked to seen Gwen maybe be tempted to change herself up using the stars or at least heavily thought about it just to add some more stakes and twists, but it didn't.

I liked this one. It read really well and I enjoyed the characters and the premise of the novel. Read it if you like stories about being the real you.

3.5

www.youngadultbookworm.blogspot.com
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starstruck.