Kelly's Reviews > Clockwork Angel

251943
Sep 14, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010, historical, steampunk, 2010-favorites
Read from September 12 to 14, 2010

Okay. Where do I start? How about: I liked the book. A lot. I loved the dim, sooty feel of the London streets. I loved seeing how things that Jace and the Shadowhunters in The Mortal Instruments series use are being thought up and invented here. I liked seeing how Charlotte, as a woman in Victorian England, is struggling to assert herself as she runs the Institute.

I adored Will. I have no idea what his issues are (although I could hazard a guess. I'd probably be wrong, but I could still guess) but the face he presents to those around him hides something deep. I like Jem and his struggle. I liked the juxtaposition of Tessa as a proper Victorian girl who is seeing that being proper might get her killed. She's strong and brave and loyal to a fault. And she's somehow different from any of the Downworlders we've seen before.

As with The Mortal Instruments, family becomes central to the development of the characters. Tessa crosses an ocean to find her brother. Charlotte accepts everybody into her makeshift family- Jessamine, Will, Jem, and those humans with the sight- and does her best to make the Institute more than just a place that they're living at. She tries to make it a home and a haven for those within its walls. Will has serious family issues that have only been hinted at. Jem's entire existence is tied to the horror he and his family experienced.

It appears that this is yet another series by Cassandra Clare that is eating my brain. How long before book 2 comes out?!?!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clockwork Angel.

Quotes Kelly Liked

Cassandra Clare
“One must always be careful of books," said Tessa, "and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel