Leah's Reviews > Rode Hard, Put Up Wet

Rode Hard, Put Up Wet by Lorelei James

First things first, you all should be very proud of me because it only took me a couple of days to read this one, whereas it took me a whole month to read the first! *does happy dance*

But down to my analysis of the book...I think the characters in this book might have been more ridiculous than the ones in the first. Not, of course, in the sense that they infuriated me more, because they certainly didn't, but because they were just so fucking bipolar! The constant mood swings, especially Macie's and Carter's, were so utterly ridiculous that I wished I could have been inside the damn book so I could slap them both. And Cash and Gemma weren't much different. They didn't have the crazy mood swings but some of their interactions...Oh Lord, no. Ugh. And probably worst of all, aside from Macie and Carter's fucked up relationship, was the fact that Carter continued to put himself in just utterly bad situations. I mean, at one point, I was so embarrassed for him that I could barely read it! What a fucking idiot.

I was very disappointed in this book because, aside from the fact that I had heard this one wasn't very good, I had hope that I would like it. Alas, I did not. I think I was most disappointed, though, in Cash and Gemma's relationship. They had such potential in Long Hard Ride, and even the beginning of this book, and they just seemed lacking to me. Oh, and a development in their relationship begs the question:

Why does there always have to be a threesome? And why the hell does Trevor always have to be part of it?

If you didn't already know this about me, I hate threesomes. Completely and utterly loathe, despise, detest, and abhor threesomes. They drive me fucking insane. And I know I'm probably in for a shitload more of those with Lorelei James, especially when I get to Rough, Raw and Ready, so be prepared for me to complain out the ass about those when I get to reading them.

Probably the only characters I actually liked were Keely and Amy Jo, excuse me AJ. They were breaths of fresh air in the horrible atmosphere I was breathing in with the other characters. They really should have been in the book more. I also liked the little glimpse of Colt, Cord, and Colby at the end. I look forward to reading Cord's book next. And I loved seeing Colt, who I already love from reading Branded As Trouble.

“I know it’s stupid, but I’m just so crazy in love with her I wanted everyone to know it. To see how lucky I am. To brag that this…perfect woman is mine. That she picked me. That she loves me.”

“What do you care that the whole world knows that?” Colt said. “Jeez, Carter, the only important thing is you know.”

Colby and Cord both gave Colt an odd look.

I really liked seeing this insight into Colt because, while I already knew that he had a sweet side and knew what really mattered, it was great to see this...foreshadowing, if you will, of how Colt would turn out in the end when he found the woman he was meant to be with.

So, honestly, I think Colt, Keely, and AJ, even though they were in the book for only a short time, saved this from being a 3, making it more of a 3.5 for me. I hear that the books get better after this one, which I believe after reading BAT, so I look forward to absolutely falling for Cord and loving AJ even more, especially since I feel such utter antipathy for Carter and Macie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rode Hard, Put Up Wet.

Quotes Leah Liked

Lorelei James

Colby and Cord both gave Colt an odd look.”
Lorelei James, Rode Hard, Put Up Wet

12/21/2010 page 17
6.0% "Oh Cash, you sweet-talker. (Of course, I said the same about Colby in the beginning, too, so I hope this book doesn't turn out like the firrst one!)"
12/22/2010 page 73
24.0% "I'm more interested in Carter and Macie than Cash and Gemma." 2 comments
12/22/2010 page 122
41.0% "These people are all bipolar."
12/23/2010 page 125
42.0% "Carter smirked at Macie. “You know how much I like sweet, thick cream.” - Oh Lord, really?"
12/23/2010 page 127
42.0% "If this ridiculousness is any indication of how she is going to be for the rest of the book, then I suspect it's going to end up just like the first one for me!" 6 comments
12/26/2010 page 131
44.0% "LMAO! She just kneed him in the balls trying to get on his lap for sex! LMAOOOOOOOO!"
12/26/2010 page 150
50.0% "Gah. This is so stupid. To be able to skip this and get right to Cord and AJ's book...*sigh*"
12/26/2010 page 206
69.0% "Who knew you could use fuck so many times in only a couple of sentences!"
12/26/2010 page 211
70.0% "I love how he thinks he can boss her around. Idiot."
12/26/2010 page 238
79.0% "Carter, I am embarrassed for you, you jackass."
12/26/2010 page 246
82.0% "Why must there always be a threesome? And why must Trevor always be part of it?"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Omg, you're reading this? How the hell did you finsih the first one!? I'm having a tough time getting getting half of it done!

Leah LOL! Didn't you read my review for the first one?! Check out my status updates, I just barely finished the first one. So far, this one is much better, though.

Samantha I didn't like this one as much. The third and fourth I had really enjoyed. I can't wait to see what your thoughts are, Leah. You're too funny :)

Leah LOL, thanks, Samantha! I just hope it's better than the first one because that one was HORRIBLE. I've heard, though, that the first two are the worst of the series.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Yeah I read but I didnt think you'd read it right after!

Leah Much as I hated the first one, I still have hope that the series is good. I really liked the sixth book when I read it, so I am going to forge forward and continue on with the series! Apparently, though, they start getting much better after this one, so that sounds good! :)

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I really hope so!

Leah You and me both, lovely!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) It's starting to pick up again.

message 10: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah What part are you at?

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I finished now but it started picking up around...the end because I was happy it was over! LOL!

message 12: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah LMAO. I know what you mean! I was so glad to have that piece of shit over.

message 14: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah LOL. This one isn't going much better for me. The characters are fucking ridiculous.

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) LOl, I can see you are really enjoying this LOL!

message 16: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah LOL! Don't get sassy, Suzanne! ;P

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... They just keep getting better and better.

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Love the review Leah! The threesome bit with Trevor also annoyed me, it just seemed so out of place and random! I don't mind threesomes in books but that time it was just odd!

ARGH I hated Carter! What an idiot! The whole painting thing I wanted to smack him upside the head!

In the next one though, NO threesomes (well between the main couple anyways!) LOL

message 19: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah Good to know, Dhes! :)

Thanks, Suzie pie! :) I agree, it was just odd. Like, I appreciated the fact that Cash wanted to make Gemma's fantasy come true, but it was way too random.

Carter was a fucking idiot. He was constantly making ridiculous situations ten times worse.

THANK GOD! I don't think I could handle a threesome with AJ and Cord. Although, I'm at the part in the beginning where Kade is going to meet Colt and his bimbo for a threesome.

message 20: by Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) (last edited Dec 28, 2010 12:35PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) It was, it is funny the way they just use Trevor all the time aswell! I think the book would have been better without that.

Yes, he did! I mean how stupid do you have to be to think that it would be okay to show loads of people naked and sexual pictures of your gf?! What a freak!

That is the part I mean, AJ and Cord stay a twosome thankfully!

message 21: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah I agree. I think that they could have left that out completely. I mean, I guess it was good because it helped Cash and Gemma in their relationship, but it was still awkward. Especially with how much they loved each other. I would never share the man I loved with anyone else.

I thought that situation was bad because he couldn't see Macie's POV. I guess, in a way, I could understand that he wanted to show how much he loved her through his art, but he went about it in completely the wrong way. And it shouldn't have taken Colt ogling Macie in the paintings for Carter to realize that.

Okay good! LOL

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Awesome review, girl! I'll read this eventually. I swear it. LOL. It only goes up from here, right?

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) LOL, I can't believe this book has threesome that helps a relationship! I can't imagine that being the case in RL LMAO! I couldn't share either, well, not with another woman anyways, I wouldn't mind being the filling : D

Couldn't he have just bought her flowers like a normal man, or if he is feeling generous, some ear rings! LOL! I thought it was strange how he thought it was okay and couldn't seem to see anything from her POV, it was very childish.

It does get better from here Annie, thank goodness!

message 24: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah Thanks, Annie. Yeah, once you get past this one, then they start getting really good. The fourth one is my favorite so far.

I can't really imagine how a threesome could help a relationship. I suppose it's possible but I would never be sharing my husband with anyone, man or woman! LOL

LMAO! Apparently not. I thought Macie was childish too. Not necessarily in this situation, but just in the whole book. And she ran so fucking hot and cold. She complained about Carter being that way when she was the same fucking way! WHAT THE HELL!

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Lol, I think it all depends whether or not you want to end up in Jerry Springer! You can just imagine the episode! LMAO!

Yep, she was irritating as well, I think towards the end I started skim reading as I was getting annoyed with the whole thing and just wanted to finish it off

message 26: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah LMAO! Of Maury! "The results are in! Annnnnd you are NOT THE FATHER!" LMAOOO!

I know what you mean. I read through that one really quickly because I just wanted to get it done and over with.