Maya's Reviews > Bittersweet: Thoughts on Change, Grace, and Learning the Hard Way

Bittersweet by Shauna Niequist

Mar 19, 11

Read from March 16 to 19, 2011

Niequist does it again in this very open and honest book. This book takes a different kind of tone than Cold Tangerines. It's focused on finding the beauty and story within heartache.

Niequist sums up the book well in her prologue, "This collection is an ode to all things bittersweet, to life at the edges, a love letter to what change can do in us. This is what I've come to believe about change: it's good, and failure is good. By that I mean that it's incredibly painful, exponentially more so if you fight it, and also that it has the potential to open you up, to open life up, to deliver you right into the palm of God's hand, which is where you wanted to be all along, except that you were too busy pushing and pulling your life into exactly what you thought it should be."

I had a couple of favorite chapters, the first being "love song for fall" which goes into detail of why it is important to pay attention to our creative sides and how not to give that up. The second was "the home team" that discusses the beauty of having close relationships that are wide open and the type of people you can call on when you need anything.

This is a book I'll keep on my shelves to reference again and again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bittersweet.