Jane Stewart's Reviews > Born in Fire

Born in Fire by Nora Roberts

Sep 04, 10

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, 5-star-romance
Read in July, 2008

I loved reading about Maggie and her entertaining characteristics and temperament.

Maggie is an artist who creates glass sculptures. She lives in a small village in western Ireland. Rogan is a wealthy Gallery owner in Dublin. He wants to represent her work. He calls her repeatedly but she never answers her phone. He has to travel there just to be able to talk to her. After he signs her, he has to send telegraphs to her because she still doesn’t answer her phone. He views her as irresponsible, scatterbrained, canny, obstinate, brilliant, bad-tempered and beautiful. He’s her opposite, a business mind and manner with schedules and timetables. Maggie is constantly throwing insults at Rogan and others, but I find her insults funny. An example of her insulting style is below in Caution Spoiler. In the sequel “Born in Shame,” Shannon describes Maggie as suspicious by nature, hot-headed, frank to the point of rudeness, overly protective and fiercely loyal. Shannon describes Rogan as “cultured, smooth, organized, shrewd, sophisticated and sharp enough to run an organization that was respected around the world. And, she thought grimly, he had to have a sense of humor, and the patience of Job, to live with Maggie.”

I also enjoyed the subplots concerning Rogan’s friend Patricia and his grandmother Christine.

I’m not usually moved by descriptions of place, but in this book, I was, especially on page 116. Maggie has just finished an intense creative session for several days and is riding her bike to town for some food and a break. As the author describes the sights and scents around Maggie’s bike ride, I felt like I was experiencing a piece of art. She describes the sun, the hedges, the breeze, the scents of honeysuckle, hay and sweet mown grass, etc. Maybe, because I was so into Maggie’s artistic activities, I continued to feel the art surrounding her bike ride. Who knows what it was, but I felt a lovely, emotional fulfillment, with that bike ride.

“Born in Fire” is the first book in a 3 book series. It can be read alone. Books 2 and 3 are about Maggie’s sister Brianna and half-sister Shannon. Maggie has small parts in the subsequent books, but it’s not necessary to read them, although it was nice to see Maggie having a child in a later book. I gave 2 stars to "Born in Ice" and 3.5 stars to "Born in Shame."

CAUTION SPOILER:
I’m quoting a section of the book, to give readers a sense of Maggie’s insulting style. If readers enjoy it, then I think they will enjoy the book. On page 49: Rogan offers to manage and sell Maggie’s glass sculptures. He tells her he will take a percentage from all sales. She asks
“What percentage do you take?”
Hoping for a reaction, he kept his eyes level with hers. “Thirty-five percent.”
She made a strangled sound in her throat. “Thirty-five? Thirty-five? You thief. You robber.” She shoved back from the table and stood. “You’re a vulture, Rogan Sweeney. Thirty-five percent be damned and you with it.”
“I take all the risks, I have all the expenses.” He spread his hands, steepled them again. “You have merely to create.”
“Oh, as if all it takes is sitting on my a** and waiting for the inspiration to come fluttering down like raindrops. You know nothing, nothing about it.” She began to pace again, swirling the air with temper and energy. “I’ll remind you, you’d have nothing to sell without me. And it’s my work, my sweat and blood they’ll spend good money for. You’ll get fifteen percent.”
“I’ll get thirty.”
“Plague take you, Rogan, for a horse thief. Twenty.”

Sexual language: mild. Number of sex scenes: four. Setting: current day village of Kilmihil, County Clare, west coast of Ireland, Dublin, Paris and the south of France. Copyright: 1994. Genre: contemporary romance.

For a listing of my reviews of other Nora Roberts and J.D. Robb books, see my 4 star review of "Angels Fall" posted on 6/30/08.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born in Fire.