Jenna H.'s Reviews > Slayed

Slayed by Amanda Marrone

May 02, 15

bookshelves: reviewed, books-read-in-2010, arc-or-blog-tours
Read on September 04, 2010

Slayed introduces 16 year old vampire slayer Daphne, a girl who wants a very different life from the one she leads as an infamous Van Helsing.

Slayed was a quick and easy read that I finished in one sitting. Despite the serious nature of the story hinted at from the jacket copy, it was full of humor and laugh out loud moments. The story was a real page turner that kept me engrossed from beginning to end.

The character of Maybelle "Kiki" Crusher was one of the main reasons why I enjoyed this book so much. She was funny and a great complement to Daphne's character. I liked how Kiki was all gung ho vampire slayer one minute and then nervous and unsure of herself the next. But in the end, she was a true friend to Daphne and always come through for her no matter what the situation.

I was a little skeptical about Tyler and Daphne's relationship at first. Their Romeo and Juliet style romance seemed a little too formulaic and unoriginal, but Marrone threw in some twists that kept it from being too much "been there, read that." I also really would have liked to have read some of the story from Tyler's point of view. His family history was interesting and I think his character could have been developed more if readers could have had a glimpse into his mind.

Slayed was a great read and I look forward to reading more from Amanda Marrone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slayed.

09/04/2010 page 128