March's Reviews > The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

Sep 04, 10

bookshelves: mystery-spy-crime
Read in September, 2010

I got interested in Stieg Larsson and his story after I found his Millennium Trilogy books at the top of recent bestselling titles lists. You can read about his life on Wikipedia, he was certainly an interesting person - a left-leaning investigative journalist, who unfortunately died just right before his books became huge worldwide.
Best-selling mystery novels by a tragically diseased Swedish guy of leftist convictions, that was it for me, I was sold. So I ordered the first part of the Millennium Trilogy - The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (yes, the title is a bit offputting, I admit, for some time I didn't want to get the book just because of the cheesy title). Due to some messup at the ebay seller I ordered the book from, I received the third part of the trilogy - The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest instead. I promptly wrote to the guys on ebay that they sent me the wrong book, and that I needed the first part and would return the third book after they send me the correct one. They were real nice, and apologized and in 3-4 days I got the Dragon Tattoo.
About the book - hm, nothing sophisticated comes to mind really. It's just a page turner of the best kind! The story takes place in Sweden and involves an investigative journalist at a Swedish political magazine (Blomkvist) and a wacky young researcher (Salander) getting mixed up in a thrilling investigation of the disappearance of a young girl some 30-40 years prior. Very believable characters, settings and largely believable plot, which is quite rare in mystery novels and so much appreciated. In fact, the relationships between the characters, the description of the settings, the events and the details are no secondary to the plot by any means, they're just as carefully crafted as the mystery itself.
Bottom line, I ended up not returning the third part, of course, and ordering the second Millennium book, which I can't wait to get my hands on soon. I've come to like Blomkvist and Salander a lot, and now I want more of them! :) Lets see if the other two books are up to par...