C.E.'s Reviews > Everything Matters!

Everything Matters! by Ron Currie Jr.

Sep 04, 2010

Read in August, 2010

This is a strange book--interesting premise--Junior, the main character knows from birth that the world will end 36 years after his birth, more or less. How does he live his life? I thought this was the set up for a modern take on Camus' "The Plague" instead it unfolded as one of the weirdest meditations on life and love and family I've encountered. There's a lot that flat out doesn't work and some parts are so ridiculous as to be off-putting (for me the fact that Currie obviously didn't spend a whit of time researching how the MLB Draft works made one subplot irrelevant). Then there's the fact that Currie tacks on an entire alternate ending scenario that should seem like a total cop out. In spite of this, I was engaged throughout the read and found it prompting me to consider big questions and think about how life is best lived.

I can understand why some people would not like this book. I can understand why others love it. It may not be for everyone, but two weeks after finishing it, I find my mind keeps going back to it--for a book, even a flawed one, to get its hooks into me so deeply, it must be doing something right.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything Matters!.