Natalie's Reviews > Under the Dome

Under the Dome by Stephen King

Oct 20, 10

bookshelves: travelcat65titles, speculative-fiction
Recommended to Natalie by: Charlie
Recommended for: sci-fi fans, bullies, school administrators and teachers trying to tackle bullying issues,
Read in October, 2010, read count: 1

The huge cast of characters is astounding and King inhabits each one as they interact. A herculean effort worth more than 3 stars. Unfortunately too many of the characters are real assholes to make it a 'really liked it' story!

BUT, I gave it a three because I did LIKE it. The plot moves like waves back and forth up the beach, bringing change closer and closer to the reader. I would give it a bonus half star if I could for its page turner quality. King is nothing if not readable!

The breadth of characters that populate the town under the dome offers opportunity to examine tension after tension.

Contrast with historical fiction about quarantine like last town on earth and the premise of King's story allows his characters to ask themselves deeper questions about what it means to be human. He goes beyound keeping the outsider away and explores the difference between love and pity, torture and bullying. King's story is a better read than last town on earth for those who are willing to dig a little deeper even while they are trapped in an Edgar Wright high body count world where Simon Pegg would be a good fit if there were more to laugh at in this story.

Compare with a kid's story like ant bully and King's story tackles the same theme wrapped up in a different package for an older audience that grew up before ant bully and its perspective were PC.

I didn't give it a four because I didn't GR "really like it" as in gush over it. Why? Because so many of the characters, men and women alike -but mostly men, are frankly unlikeable! MCPs open their mouths at every turn.

However, I kept reading anyway because I liked the way King handled multiple generations in the story. He doesn't avoid teenagers or kids. Their interactions with people older than themselves and their impressions of older people are part of the story and what moves things along.

In this story the teenagers, druggies, and rough around the edges women all get to look at and describe the often older men and women who are in positions of relative authority around them. That detail alone makes the world and problems of this little village come alive like a bar after you've put a few drinks down.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under the Dome.

10/11/2010 page 211
10/11/2010 page 211
20.0% "in my experience, town politicians know a little, the town cops know a lot, and the local newspaper editor knows everything. p 124 ode to small town newspaper editors!"
10/13/2010 page 453
42.0% "Claire McClatchey's response to the trio of teenagers especially after the chop suey meal is priceless."
10/14/2010 page 753
70.0% "you know how if you spend the whole day at the beach sometime a little bit afternoon you feel like you've seen the waves roll in about a thousand times already? This is a very wavy book. Slightly seasick but still turning the pages. layer upon layer of incremental plot progressions."

message 1: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Murray I'll be interested in how you like this book. Then I'll decide if it's worth my time!

Natalie so far it's a page turner but there are some characters who are real MCPs!

message 3: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Murray What's an MCP?

Natalie heehee how fortunate for you that you have to ask -speaks well of the people you surround yourself with male and female alike -in my circles a MCP is a Male Chauvinist Pig

message 5: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Murray HAHA!! I never would have guessed that in a million years -- all I could come up with was "Main Character Protagonist" :)

Should I bother with the book? 3 stars.....

Natalie Yes, you should bother . . . I gave it three because I DID like it. I didn't give it four because I didn't "really like it" as in gush over it .. . because so many of the characters, men and women alike, but mostly men, are frankly unlikeable! As an entertaining read I would give it a bonus half star or something because King is nothing if not readable and the breadth of characters that populate the town under the dome makes for really interesting drama, the plot moves like waves back and forth up the beach, moving closer and closer. I like the way he has multiple generations in the story. I like that he doesn't avoid teenagers and kids and their interactions with people older than themselves or their impressions of them. How many stories have you read recently where you have to take an older person's point of view when you look at teenagers? In this story the teenagers, and druggies, and women all get to look at and describe grown up men and even old men and women which makes the world of this little village come alive through all the points of view of the people in it. The cast of characters is astounding and King inhabits each one as they interact with one another. A herculean effort worthy of more than 3 stars worth of praise. So yes, read it! I can even send you my copy if you don't mind a thrashed grocery store paperback!

message 7: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Murray Okay!! I'm actually quite glad that you said all that, because I want to read it, but the last book that I read by him, The Tommyknockers, really sucked, so I didn't want to be disappointed again. Would like to see the teenager perspective, that sounds interesting.

I certainly do not mind a thrashed grocery store paperback, if you don't mind sending it:)

Natalie Thrashed grocery store pb will be on its way to you soon! cautionary note: of the police officer characters I think there are like 3.5 cool ones to every 12 jerks.

message 9: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Murray Sounds pretty realistic to me.