Lester's Reviews > I Drink for a Reason

Sep 06, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: 2010, lame, funny, nonfiction
Read from September 03 to 06, 2010

A bunch of bullet points that will hopefully end up being a coherent review of this book:

--I usually don't check out stuff like this, but it's one of the most poorly edited books I've ever read. This feels so hastily hacked-up together in terms of context and format, it ends up looking AND reading like a shameless cash-in. Dudebro should have hired me as a copy editor at least.

--If you thought David Cross was patronizing in his stand-up, wait until you read this. Condescension served in heaping fucking doses. And the other thing too is that...

--...his list of targets are small and easy. Organized religion and Republicans are fun and all, but I'm not really up for reading David Cross of all people ripping on this in 2010, with the same amount of vitriol as he did years back but without really saying anything new since then. So then he just comes off as angry and preachy. He's a radio talk show away from being Janeane Garofalo.

--His Jim Belushi stories are pretty great.

--A lot of the best material are available online (mostly at the bobanddavid site) and are just padded on to the book, which I don't really mind.

--Cross is very talented at delivering the slow-burning rant. A lot of his best material consists of comic riffs that evolve into surreal, imaginative tirades with the kind of precise eloquence that translate very well into a book.

--In general, fans will lap this book up, but everyone else should probably stay away.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Drink for a Reason.

09/03 page 1
0.0% "browsing through i noticed it includes his timeless skewering of pitchfork and larry the cable guy. hopefully the rest is just as good, we'll see"
09/05 page 87
37.0% "i'm noticing how hastily put together this is"
05/08 marked as: read