Luna Lindsey's Reviews > Recovery from Cults: Help for Victims of Psychological and Spiritual Abuse

Recovery from Cults by Michael D. Langone

Sep 03, 2010

bookshelves: cults
Read in January, 2005

One of the better books about cults, as told from the secular perspective (as opposed to the dogmatic perspective). This is a collection of essays and papers from some of the top researchers in the field, many of them ex-cult members themselves. I have referenced this book again and again when writing presentations, websites, and blog posts on the topic.

I especially enjoyed the story of the woman who infiltrated a Moonies recruitment camp. Even though she understood the mechanisms of coercive persuasion, and understood the damage this group has done to many people, she still came away with warm feelings towards the group.

I have read many books on cults. But if you only want to read one, this is quite possibly the best all-round. (It competes closely with "Captive Minds, Captive Hearts", which is better for ex-members of cults who wish to recover.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Recovery from Cults.

01/30 marked as: read