Vivienne's Reviews > Adept

272081
Mar 26, 12

bookshelves: thriller, occult
Read from January 26 to February 01, 2007

This is a combination of crime and occult/paranormal thriller that centers around an insurance investigator, David Braun and an academic, Susan Milton, working with the London School of Antiquities. They are brought together when a violent break-in and theft of an artifact leads them to uncover a secret that is centuries old. This discovery makes them a target for a ruthless killer who threatens the kind of things ruthless killers threaten.

I had originally read it a couple of years ago expecting it to be along the same lines as Katherine Kurtz's The Adept series. It wasn't but I found then and now that it was an engaging read. Finn has incorporated ideas about magic and adepthood that are somewhat different to historical and contemporary sources and seem more in line with paranormal studies.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Adept.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hpstrangelove (new)

Hpstrangelove It seems like you enjoyed this book (enough to read it twice in fact); was there something in particular that caused you to rate it three stars instead of four? I normally 'cut-off' at three or under and don't bother with those, but this looks like a book I might enjoy.

Vivienne As it was 5 years ago not sure I can recall much at all. My second read was because I'd forgotten so much of the original plot when I came to read its sequel. It was probably because I expected that it would be more rooted in occult practice than it was. Hence my reference to the Kurtz series.