Lydia Presley's Reviews > Nightshade

Nightshade by Ronie Kendig

Sep 05, 10

bookshelves: 2010, christian-lit, fiction
Read from September 03 to 05, 2010

I received this book from another blogger participating in Unputdownables Crazy Book Swap. We were to pick a book and send it another blogger via the information given to us.

I struggled with this book. It got great reviews here on GoodReads so I was hopeful and I did give it an honest chance, but there were moments that had me cringing and as I continued to read those moments were more and more frequent.

The first was in the following text:

"For those not enlightened," an authoritative voice cut through the sufer's explanation, "my name of General Olin Lambert, I am a member of the Joint Chiefs. But among the seven of us, I am merely a citizen of the United States, just like you." Blue eyes probed each man.
Right into Max's soul.

....

At this point I realized that, no matter how seriously I try to take this book, it would just be another cheesy Christian book designed to make us Christians feel good about ourselves and provide us with a fluffy story about forgiveness. I can appreciate that there are people who love this story and I'm not knocking you if you do - but I like harsh realities literature. I like knowing what other people are dealing with on a regular basis, in a realistic way so my attention gets drawn to those same situations in life and I can plead for those people in my prayers.

There were generalizations throughout this entire book and it felt as if the author decided to use a few hot words "Islam" "SEALS" "pregnancy" to make the story more interesting but just succeeded in giving a cliche story I just couldn't get into.

I know Ronie is here on GoodReads and I apologize for the harsh review - but I promised in this bookswap to do a review on this book and I just can't give it a more positive one.

I did manage to read the whole book, I just didn't like it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightshade.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ronie (new) - added it

Ronie No worries! I'm glad you were honest. Nightshade isn't for everyone--and neither is my writing. Thanks for giving it a try!